Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Me and My Shadows

 There are times when amazing things happen in the camera despite my best efforts to take an ugly picture. This lovely photo was taken at Kauai at the airport and the crack of dawn. Actually dawn hadn't come to the island yet. I put the camera on a car and hoped that I could keep it still enough to get a good clear shot in the dim light. The result surprised me as the color was so vibrant and the shadows of the trees so perfectly dark that it just made me smile and I became determined to capture the moment even though my companions were waiting for me. Even the dark shadow of the mountain lends some contrast to the variations in the sky. This is a favorite.
























We went to Oahu from Kauai for a day at the Pearl Harbor memorial. There would be no way to take a picture without a body in front of the subject so I took a picture of a body in front of one of the many windows. I like to think that this young man is learning about this time in history and reflecting on it's significance. Because he is in shadow it implies a certain reverence for the subject and place.

No comments:

Post a Comment