Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Bloomin Cactus


 I hate cactus. I know that is a strong statement but it is a true one as well. There is one time of year that I can tolerate the things and that is usually in May when they want to be attractive to bees and to create much fruit. They say that the fruit is delicious but there are other fruits that aren't as much work. Since I am allergic to pain I feel I can live without it.
 I didn't realize, until I saw them up close, that the flower of a cactus is very thin. Many of the petals you can almost see through and yet they have a tinsel strength that is oddly deceptive. They are stubborn little things to even defy the elements and bloom. Lack of water, great cold or heat, animals and pests, nothing deters these blooms. And when they do bloom, they mock me for not having liked the cactus without it's crown.

 The colors are spectacular as well. It is as if God, while painting the sky, dripped from his brush onto the earth. As with all artists, he makes creative opportunities instead of mistakes. For a very short time the ground reflects the colors of the sky.
 Now that it is late June the memory of those blooming cactus is still with us. Perhaps they are encouraging us to bear the high heat as we remember their sunny faces. They are gone for another year so I am back to hating cactus. *Sigh*


1 comment: